These are all virtual events. Many will be held via Zoom with close captioning, ASL interpreting and audio description as needed. There is no cost to participate. But you will need to register to get a password. An easy pass is available that will give you daily updates and passwords (for the cost of a t-shirt plus shipping). Or you can just check here or Eventbrite. Event titles will all be Eventbrite links eventually.
BRIEF SCHEDULE (Eastern Time) Changes daily
- Sunday, July 26, 2PM – Welcome. Orientation to event. Beneficiaries of the ADA speak to each of its titles. COVID-19 memorials , including to Congressman Isaac Robinson.
- Monday, July 27th, 11AM – What’s in Your Tool Box?Carolyn Grawi, What’That on the websites in your Tool Box?
- Monday, July 27th, 2PM – Zoom Refresher, Mike Bray, Associate Director for Dissemination and Technology at the Michigan Developmental Disabilities Institute (MI-DDI) and MI-LEND Training Director at Wayne State University in Detroit.
- Tuesday, July 28, 2PM – Disability Culture and Performan, Petra Kuppers, Gut Botany.
- Wednesday, July 29 Voting Access, TBA
- Thursday, July 30, 2PM TBA
- Thursday, July 30, 7PM – Devva Kasnitz, Society for Disability Studies, What is disability Studies?
- Friday, July 31, 2PM – Supported Decision Making, John McCarty & Dana Lloyd, The Georgia Advocacy Office.
- Saturday, August 1, 7-9 PM SING-A-LONG Concert with Elaine Kolb, disability rights in word and song.
- Week 2
- Sunday, August 2, 2PM Film – Intelligent Lives with talk back led by Micah Fialka-Feldman and hs family.
- Monday, August 3, 2PM – TBA
- Tuesday, August 4, 2PM – Daniel Cascardo, muralist.
- Wednesday, August 5, 2PM – Sheryl Ellis. ADA Title 1: Managing Your Health Condition Workplace Accommodations
- Thursday, August 6 , 7PM – Pamela Block, Allison Carey, & Richard Scotch, Disability Activism and Parents of Children with Disabilities
- Friday, August 7, 2PM – Amy Maes, Oakland Macomb Disability Network, Service Animals
- Saturday, August 8, 7 PM – Virtual Dance
- Week 3
- Sunday, August 9, 2PM – Film- Piss on Pity: the Story of ADAPT
- Monday, August 10, Michelle Nario-Redmond, Ableism The Causes and Consequences of Disability Prejudice
- Tuesday, August 11, 2PM – The Big Reveal! The art of Daniel Cascardo and You!
- Tuesday, August 11, 2:30PM Disabled Athletes Panel. Chet Kuskowski, Brian Sheridan calls back he is a paralympian, quad rugby, hand cycling, wc basketball,
- Wednesday, August 12 2PM COVID-19 – Documents, forms, records – What you must keep handy on a moment’s notice!, The Arc Michigan
- Thursday, August 13, 2PM Jody, A Memory from Laconia State Hospital & written by Candance Cole McCrea against a backdrop of slides from Willowbrook.
- Thursday, August 13, 7PM – Lydia X.Z. Brown, What is Disability Justice?
- Friday, August 14 2PM – Peter Berg Great Lakes ADA Ct & Brad Hastings, Disability Network W. Michigan, ADA Title II
- Saturday, August 15 7 PM – Virtual Dance
- Week 4
- Sunday, August 16 FILM – TBA
- Monday, August 17 It’s out Story, Scott Cooper
- Tuesday, August 18, 2 PM Jill Vyn & Chris Smit, DisArt
- Wednesday, August 19, 2PM Steven Brown, Institute on Disabilty Culture, What is Disability Culture?
- Thursday, August 20, 2PM Jody Conradi Stark, Creative Arts Therapies, COVID-19 Self-Care: Using Music and the Arts to cope
- Friday, August 21, 2PM Laurel Daen, Disability Activism in Colonial America
- Saturday, August 22, 7PM Dance
- Week 5
- Sunday, August 23 FILM – TBA
- Monday, August 24 Tom Olin, Photojournalist of the disability movement (tentative date)
- Tuesday, August 25 TBA
- Wednesday, August 26, 2PM Anthony Marcellini, A Short History of Progressive Art Studios for Adults with Disabilities.
- Thursday, August 27, 2PM Jaipreet Virdi, Hearing Happiness, Deaf history and technology
- Friday August 28. 2PM “Olegario “Ollie” Cantos , US Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights, Building Strong Networks and Accomplishing your Dreams
- Saturday, August 29, 7 PM Virtual Dance
- Week 6
- Sunday, August 30, FILM TBA
- Monday, August 31
- Tuesday, September 1 – Folk Music Drop-in Concert. Peter Leidy, Johnny Crescendo, Davids Rovics, Elaine Kolb and others.
- Wednesday, September 2, 2PM David T, Mitchell and Cameron Snyder Mitchell will do a talk back after the preview of their new film about the T-4 Nazi Holocaust.
- Thursday, September 3, 2PM Dessa Cosma, Detroit Disability Power, How to include people with disabilities in mainstream disability activism
- Friday, September 4 COVID-19 Post-traumatss & Disability, Candace Cole McCrea
- Saturday, September 5, 2 PM, Jerry Sarasin, Mobilty Works. Wheelchair Sports
- Saturday, September 5 Virtual Dance
- Week 7
- Sunday, September 6 FILM TBA
- Monday, September 7
- Tuesday, September 8 – Poetry Jam
- Wednesday, September 9 COVID-19 Homeless & Disabled, Asher Thayer
- Thursday, September 10 City of Detroit Departments & Disability
- Friday, September 11 – Check out Self-Determination Conference https://www.michigan.gov/mdhhs/
- Saturday, September 12 – Virtual Dance
- Week 8
- Sunday, September 13 – FILM TBA
- Monday, September 14 – ABLE Accounts – Establish Wealth w/ a Disability
- Tuesday, September 15, 2 PM Complex Adaptive Technology Chet Kuskowski
- Wednesday, September 16 – Native American Perspectives on Disaility, Candace Cole McCrea
- Thursday, September 17 TBA https://www.dakc.us/events/
- Friday, September 18 TBA
- Saturday, September 19 – Virtual Dance
- Week 9
- Sunday, September 20 FILM TBA
- Monday, September 21
- Tuesday, September 22, 2PM COVID-19 Compassionate release of of High-Risk Prisoners
- Wednesday, September 23
- Thursday, September 24
- Friday, September 25
- Saturday, September 26 Virtual Dance
- Sunday, September 27 Virtual Disability Pride Parade
This is some of what took place July 21, 2015 at Detroit’s Eastern Market…
10 – 10:15 Debbie and John Dingell – Recognition of John Dingell
Disability Rights Activist Elizabeth Bauer
10:15- 10:45 Ebony, Ivory and Strawberry, vocals and keyboard
10:45-11:15 Pat Cronley and Stephen Broadworth
11:15-12 Charlie Martin, former Drummer of Bob Seeger’s Silver Bullet Band
12-12:15 Kevin Tolbert, UM Football Strength Coach
Kristen Milefchik, Ms Wheelchair Michigan
Tom Watkins, Detroit Wayne County Mental Health Authority
12:15-1 Anthony Ianni on living with autism and being an athlete
1-1:30 Baba Collins, drum performance
1:30-2 Circuit Court Judge Deborah Thomas and Elizabeth Bauer
2-3 Frog and Toad performed by Wild Swan Theater and Synergy on Stage
(door nearest Russell St.)
10:15 -11 Baba Collins – Teaching Drumming
11:00 -12 Cheryl Angelelli and Sergio Sanchez – wheelchair dancing
12-1 Chair Yoga
1- 1:30 Zumba Gold
10:15 -11:15 Tell Your Story (open Mic, 4 minute limit)
1:30- 2 Community Network Services Anti-Stigma Team
2-3 Tell Your Story (Presentations)
Vendor & Volunteer Check0in
Free ADA keychains
Free Stickers (ADA Michigan table)
Teddy’s Ts : ADA Legacy Tshirt, Michigan ADA Tshirt,
and other civil rights tshirts and buttons on sale